With the trend for wellness, wellbeing and all things healthy sweeping the UK, more people are striving to look after their bodies and minds.
Did you know that good health is seen by 84% of people in the UK as the most significant factor in reaching a high level of wellbeing?
When it comes to improving personal wellbeing, eating more healthily and doing more exercise were at the top of the list. While, just under half of people recognise that drinking more water could improve their wellbeing.
Nutritionist, and yoga expert Madeleine Shaw runs clean eating cookery classes, has written two best selling books and her yoga sessions at the recent Big Feastival food festival were a huge hit, so who better to give us some top tips on how to boost our wellbeing.
1. Wellbeing for me is about having lots of energy and feeling good in your skin. Everyone has a different definition, but for me it’s an inner state of feeling good. My three pillars for wellbeing are eating well, good hydration and moving daily.
2. Good nutrition is all about filling your plate with lots of vegetables, good quality meat or fish, healthy fats like avocado, nuts and seeds and slow release carbohydrates like sweet potato, brown rice or quinoa.
3. Life’s about balance, so having a bit of cake or chocolate is absolutely fine too.
4. My rule of thumb is to drink at least two litres of water a day, whether you’re exercising or not. This will help you feel alert and energised. I keep my BRITA fill&go with me at all times so I know how much water I’ve had.
5. It doesn’t matter what type of exercise you do and it can just be 20 minutes per day.
6. Whether it’s boxing, yoga or going for a walk in the fresh air, if you get it done in the morning you feel good, and that’s it done for the rest of the day.
7. As you exercise, your internal body temperature and metabolism increase so drink up to keep cool, taking small sips between exercises.
8. I always drink plenty of filtered water after I work out because filters reduce impurities, which means you’re left with fresh great tasting water to cleanse the body.